There are four main ways you can invest in property: directly through either residential or commercial real estate, through a real estate investment trust (REIT) or as part of a property syndicate.
As long as you have a long-term focus property can be a powerful way to grow your wealth over time.
Investing in commercial property
- If you do your research commercial property could be a valuable addition to your portfolio. Explore the following resources to learn more:
- Complete guide to investing in commercial property
- Pros and cons of commercial property investing
- Podcast: Why you should invest in commercial property
Investing Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs)
- A REIT is a trust that owns, operates or finances income-producing real estate which allows investors to be exposed to the property market without having to buy real property. Explore the following resources to learn more:
- ASX on REITs
- Canstar on the types of REITs and the risks and benefits
- Video: How REITs work
- A property syndicate is an investment where multiple buyers pool their money to buy a property they probably couldn’t afford on their own. Explore these resources to learn more:
- What is a property syndicate?
- Podcast: Syndicated property investment
- 6 steps to starting a property syndicate
Exploring direct real estate investments
- Direct real estate investment is generally buying a real estate asset, usually a home to either live in or rent out. The purchase would be made in your own name or in the name of a trust or company that you directly control.
- Investopedia has a series of articles looking at the ins and out of direct property investment.
What to look for in an investment property
- There are a number of factors you should consider before you buy an investment property.
Buying and managing an investment property
- Buying a property to rent out is a popular form of long-term investment for Australians. ASIC’s Moneysmart explores the topic and talks about the tactics of some dodgy property spruikers to avoid.
Investing in property at a young age
- To get the most out of your investment and to reduce the risks associated with property investing, ensure that you get in touch with professionals, leverage educational resources and shop around for a competitive investment loan is the advice in this detailed article on investing in property – worth a read and the website also has a range of other property articles for you to explore.
8 steps to getting started in property investment
- Property investing isn’t as difficult as it’s made out to be. Here are eight steps to invest in your first property.
Avoiding property scams
- It can be difficult to distinguish the persuasive conman from the qualified expert in the real estate industry. To help you avoid property scams here a few resources to explore further:
- Moneysmart on investment scams in general
- 4 property investment scams
- Landlords – how to spot and avoid a rental scam